York Community Education
Providing educational opportunities for people of all ages in the community, county, and surrounding areas.
Non-credit classes are offered in cooperation with Southeast Community College on a quarterly basis. The current class schedule may be viewed online by going to https://www.southeast.edu/classschedules/ and click on the West Schedule under Continuing Education Class Schedules. You may register for classes online, by mailing in the registration form, or calling the office at the number listed below.
CPR & First Aid certification is offered on an ongoing basis. Please call the York Community Education office for more information.
Lori Suddarth, Coordinator
York Middle School
1730 N. Delaware Avenue
York, NE 68467
“Like Us” on Facebook – www.facebook.com/York-Community-Education
Here are a few of the current classes being offered:
- Meditation, Breathing & Relaxation Techniques – STRESS is a major cause for heart attacks and strokes, memory and cognitive functioning problems, lowers the immune system and contributes to more physical and emotional problems. Everyone needs to have methods to decrease stress on a regular basis. You will learn some of the top methods that doctors and therapists are suggesting to use. These are simple methods that only take a minute or two, depending on your time. This class will be held on Saturday, April 22nd, 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Tuition is $45. KEY Word: Meditation
- Patchwork Candy Bowl – Using pieces of clear fusible class, you layer the glass and add some adornments to create an eight-inch circle. This will then be fused and slumped at our studio and returned to you as a wonderful candy bowl. This class will be held on Monday, April 24thth, 6 – 7:30 p.m. Tuition is $69, which includes all the supplies needed. KEY Word: Glass
- Let’s Make Photographs Instead of Taking Snapshots – Let’s explore how we can take better pictures and help you become more creative with your photography. We will explore different modes on your camera and how we might use them for different photographic opportunities. Whether you use a cell phone or a DSLR, let’s learn to take those ‘wow’ photographs instead of snapshots. This class will be held on Monday, April 24th, from 6 – 9 p.m. Tuition is $29. KEY Word: Photographs
- Create a Photo Book Using Snapfish – In this class you will begin making a photo book from digital pictures you have taken. Snapfish is an online service that has all the tools needed for creating a photo book with easy options for the beginner or creatively challenged. You will start a photo book and design pages using various set-up options, colors, fonts, and backgrounds. This class will be held on Monday & Wednesday, April 24 & 26, 6:30-8:30 p.m. Tuition is $39. KEY Word: Photo
- Sensational Pots, Planters or Containers – Take your pots and planters from standard to sensational! In this informal hands-on workshop, you will learn what plants will work best in your container and particular location. Then, plant your container to take home. Participants will pay for the cost of the soil and the plants used at the time of the workshop. This class will be held at the York High School FFA greenhouse on Monday, April 24th at 6-8 p.m. Tuition is only $10! KEY Word: Planters
- Bob Ross Oil Painting: Grey Winter – Enjoy a relaxing time painting and gain a wonderful sense of accomplishment. This class is designed for painters of all abilities, including beginners (aged 14 & up). This class will be held on Saturday, April 29th, 9:30-3:30 p.m. Tuition is $39 plus a $25 supply fee. KEY Word: Ross
- *NEW* Spring Time Porch Boards – This rustic spring-time vertical sign is a perfect way to enhance your porch or front entry way. All supplies provided. This class is appropriate for adults and children ages 10 and up (with adult supervision). This class will be held on Saturday, April 29th, 9 a.m. – Noon. Tuition is $19 with a $15 supply payable to the instructor. Please register by April 21st. KEY Word: Spring
- DNA Extraction (for kids only) – Inthis workshop, for children aged 7-12, we will compare animal and plant cell differences, break down the cell wall, extract DNA from different fruits and vegetables, AND practice our CSI skills. Everyone will take home their own sample of DNA. Join us on Saturday, April 29th, 10 a.m.-Noon. Tuition is $15. KEY Word: DNA
- Rescue & Restore Furniture & Accessories – Learn how to rescue and restore old and outdated furniture or accessories without the hassle of stripping, sanding and all the prep! You will learn about a one-step furniture paint that will adhere to most any surface, including wood, formica, concrete, iron, laminate, polyurethane, varnish, plastic, ceramic and more! The paint dries to a beautiful chalky flat finish. Different waxes can be added to provide accents or a distressed look. You will practice on sample pieces. This class will be held on Saturday, April 29th, 9-11 a.m. Tuition is $19 with a $12 supply fee payable to the instructor. KEY Word: Restore
- Cast Iron Flare – This class will teach you the basics of cast iron cooking along with how to care for and maintain your precious Dutch Ovens, pans and skillets. We will discuss stove-top cooking, baking, frying, grilling and pit cooking with cast iron. We will make a Dutch Baby, cornbread, Danish Aebleskivers, pizza, fried/scrambled eggs and rustic bread. All supplies provided. We are offering this class two more times this spring; April 29 and June 6. For the Saturday, April 29th class, 9 a.m. – Noon, please register by April 21st. Tuition is $29. KEY Word: Iron
- Art of Bagels and Pretzels – Using a simple, sweet yeast dough, you will learn how to make bagels and pretzels in your own kitchen. If time allows, we will also work on the art of other breads that use this same type of dough. All supplies provided. We are offering this class twice this spring; April 25 and May 23. For the Tuesday, April 25th class, 6 – 9 p.m., please register by April 18th. Tuition is $29. KEY Word: Bagels
- QuickBooks Level 1 – Learn how to use the basic features of the QuickBooks Pro Software. Learn to create a company, use the check register, generate estimates and invoices, track credit cards, pay bills, create reports, and memorize transactions. This is a four-session class held over two weeks on Tuesdays and Thursdays, May 2 – 11, 6 -8 p.m. Tuition is $49. KEY Word: Quickbooks
- Refresh & Expand Your Crochet Skills – This class is for someone who has had some experience with crochet and perhaps has been away from it for a time or who completed some simple projects such as wash cloths or baby blankets. You may be looking for a new project, or to expand your basic stitch skills. You will practice your new skills by making a round basket. This class will meet four times on Tuesday mornings, May 2nd – 23rd, 10 – 11:30 a.m. at First Presbyterian Church. Tuition is $25. KEY Word: Crochet
- Pastry Artistry – Learn the art of making puff pastries, cream puffs and popovers using a delicate egg-based dough. All supplies provided. This class will be held on Tuesday, May 9th, 6-9 p.m. Tuition is $29. Please register by May 2nd. KEY Word: Pastry
- Oodles of Noodles & Dumplings – Back by popular demand! Learn to make homemade old-fashioned egg noodles, puffy noodles, Ramen noodles, and fluffy dumplings. All supplies provided. This class will be held on Saturday, May 13th, 9 a.m. – Noon. Tuition is $29. Please register by May 5th. KEY Word: Noodles
- Babysitting – Designed for children 10-14 years old, this interactive one-session class covers all aspects of being a great babysitter. The class is a great introduction to the basics of babysitting. A workbook will be provided. Topics will include the business of babysitting, child development, and fun and games. The class will be held Tuesday, May 9th at 3:45 – 5:15 p.m. Tuition is $15. KEY Word: Babysitting
- *NEW* Rustic Wooden Star – This rustic wooden star made from thin pallet boards can be decorated for each holiday. (Picture does not include decorations.) All supplies provided. This class is appropriate for adults and children ages 10 and up (with adult supervision). This class
will be held on Saturday, May 20th, 9 a.m. – Noon. Tuition is $19 with a $15 supply payable to the instructor. Please register by May 12th. KEY Word: Star
- *NEW* Glass Cutting – Want to learn how to cut glass? In this class you will learn various cutting skills for stained glass work, fused glass work, or other glass applications. Walk away with your own cutter and breaking pliers to jump-start a new hobby! This class will be held on Saturday, May 20th, 9-10:30 a.m. Tuition is $59. KEY Word: Glass
- Weight Loss Hypnosis – Excellent results can be obtained by hypnosis. You don’t have to diet, feel deprived or even change what you eat. These are the main reasons why weight loss doesn’t work for many. Using hypnosis, you will automatically eat less after the session and feel full faster. You can enjoy your food, splurge, go out for dinner and eat things you like. This class will be held on Saturday, May 20th, 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Tuition is $45. KEY Word: Hypnosis
- Art of Bagels and Pretzels – Using a simple, sweet yeast dough, you will learn how to make bagels and pretzels in your own kitchen. If time allows, we will also work on the art of other breads that use this same type of dough. All supplies provided. We are offering this class Tuesday, May 23rd class, 6 – 9 p.m., please register by May 16th. Tuition is $29. KEY Word: Bagels
- One-on-One Computer Training – We continue to offer an opportunity for you to have one-on-one attention from a knowledgeable computer instructor. You will get four hours of instruction. This class is designed to give you attention on the computer topic you need and want most. Training can include MS Office software such as Word or Excel, Internet or Email, or even organizing files or photos. All levels of experience are welcome. Sessions may be arranged by calling my office. Tuition is $99.
All classes will be held at the York Middle School, unless otherwise noted. You may register for classes by calling Lori at 402-362-6700, by mailing in the registration form found at the back of SCC Continuing Education brochure, or by registering online: www.southeast.edu/continuing – click on Register Now; look for the key word in the course description in your brochure and that will help you locate the class you would like to register for. Just a reminder, all classes need a minimum enrollment. If that minimum is not met three days before the start date, the class may be cancelled. Sometimes a great class gets cancelled because people wait until the last minute to sign up! Please register early! If something changes in your schedule, full refunds are available if you call at least 24 hours before the class begins.