Dr. Tami Wegener
402-362-6655, ext. 224
Mrs. Dana Schmid
402-362-6655, ext. 225
Mrs. Deb Stuhr
402-362-6655, ext. 226
Important Upcoming Dates:
Oct. 12 – PSAT test (top juniors and sophomores) – sign up in Counseling office by Oct. 7 with $18 check payable to YHS
Oct. 20 – Apply to College Day
Oct. 20 – Financial Aid meetings (required for seniors to attend – parents welcome)
Oct. 21 – Accuplacer test for those who sign up – no cost to test
Dual Credit information:
Dual credit students through SCC are going strong! Yeah! Electronic bills for the tuition for these classes were emailed to the student email on September 20 or 21. Payment is due to SCC by October 20. You may pay online through the Hub account or mailing a payment to the Milford campus is also fine. Contact Mrs. Stuhr if you have questions.
FAFSA — The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) opened for seniors/parents on October 1. Getting this completed is most important as it affects scholarships as well as grants. You are welcome to contact EducationQuest in Lincoln, Kearney or Omaha to schedule an appt. (virtual appts are welcome) for FREE assistance completing this form. They are extremely knowledgeable and helpful … and it truly is free assistance!
ACT Test Date ahead:
October 22 — registration due by September 16
December 10 — registration due by Novmeber 4
STUDENTS REGISTERING TO TAKE THE ACT … Please remember to enter the York High School code of 282-590 when testing. This is the only way YHS gets a copy of your test results, and we NEED them. If questions, stop by the Counseling office.
CHECK OUT THIS GREAT RESOURCE:
Ultimate Guide to the ACT
CURRENT SCHOLARSHIPS …
AES Engineering Scholarship — to be eligible you must answer the essay question in 500-1000 words, When you look back on your life in 30 years, what would it take for you to consider your life successful? What relationships or accomplishments will be important on this journey? There is no application packet. Do not send a resume. Be sure to include your full name as well as the name of your school you are attending this year and your plans for next year. Website is: http://www.aesengineers.com/scholarships.htm Submit to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 8, 2022.
Heisman High School Scholarship recognizes more than 5,000 of the best male and female high school seniors. To be eligible for this recognition, a student must have at least a “B” grade average, participated in school sports, and demonstrated active involvement in the community. Apply at heismanscholarship.com Deadline is Oct. 18, 2022, at 5 PM; however, a reviewer must review your application before this deadline. See Counseling office if questions.
Coca-Cola Scholars Foundation announces its achievement-based scholarship is open to seniors who are U.S. citizens and plan to pursue a degree at an accredited U.S. post-secondary institution. Students are recognized for their capacity to lead and serve, as well as their commitment to making a significant impact on their schools and communities. Seniors must also have a “B”/3.0 GPA. Find details and application at coca-colascholarsfoundation.org Deadline is October 31, 2022.
Elks National Foundation 2023 Most Valuable Student Scholarship – Open to any high school senior who is a US citizen pursuing a four-year degree at a college or university. Scholarship deadline is November 14, 2022. Application may be found at elks.org/scholars/ Applications are based on scholarship, leadership and financial need. Questions may be directed to Mr. Redfern at 402-362-4491.
HAGAN Scholarship – must enroll at an eligible four-year college or university the first semester following high school graduation, have earned a 3.5 high school GPA and be in the top 20% of class. Must also work a minimum of 240 hours prior to the start of each academic year. This award can be up to $6,000 per semester, and it is renewable. Applicant’s adjust gross household income must not exceed $85,000. Applications can be downloaded at haganscholarships.org Deadline is Dec. 1, 2022.
Nebraska Poultry Education Scholarship is now open for applications. Students must be interested in a career that is poultry-based. Deadline is January 13, 2023. See Mrs. Stuhr for more information and application details.
Acacia Fraternity Scholarship is open to incoming freshmen males at UNL. This scholarship is sponsored by the Nebraska Chapter of Acacia fraternity, but you do NOT have to join this group to qualify for this award. Application in Guidance Office. Deadline January 31, 2023.
BLUE & GOLD SCHOLARSHIP FORMS…
The following forms (the same form — just different formats) may be used to apply for local Blue & Gold scholarships:
PERU STATE COLLEGE – DUAL CREDIT STUDENTS .. DIrections for ordering a transcript:
- Go to peru.edu
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on Transcripts
- Click on “Peru State College Transcript Delivery Service”
- Click “Create Account” and then complete the form. Be sure to choose e-transcript and be sure to write “HOLD FOR GRADES” when ordering (this is under part 3 — order details).
See Mrs. Stuhr if you have questions.
SCC Dual Credit Students …. You may request your transcript by logging into the HUB at https://thehub.southeast.edu , then select Web Adviser for Students, select Academic Profile, select Transcript Request and complete the information. You should receive a confirmation after hitting the Submit button. Seniors, you will not want to order your transcript until your semester is complete. If you wish to take care of it prior to the semester ending, please get a paper request from Mrs. Stuhr so you can note “HOLD FOR GRADES.” See Mrs. Stuhr if you have questions. At this point, there is no charge for requesting your transcript from SCC.
Let’s work together for a great school year!
- Education Quest : Free College Planning Services. Eduquest is based out of Lincoln, NE http:///www.educationquest.org/
- KnowHow2Go: A slick site for planning your college education no matter what grade you are currently in. Helpful tips for students in middle school, as well as high school. http://www.knowhow2gonebraska.org/
- College Bound Nebraska http://www.collegeboundnebraska.com NSCS Advantage http://www.nscs.edu/nscs-advantage.htm
Nebraska Universities and Colleges
- Chadron State College http://www.csc.edu/
- College of St. Mary http://www.csm.edu/
- Creighton University http://www.creighton.edu/
- Doane University http://www.doane.edu/
- Grace University http://www.graceuniversity.edu/
- Hastings College http://www.hastings.edu/
- Midland University http://www.midlandu.edu
- Nebraska College of Technical Agriculture http://ncta.unl.edu
- Nebraska Methodist College http://www.methodistcollege.edu/
- Nebraska Wesleyan University http://www.nebrwesleyan.edu/
- Peru State College http://www.peru.edu/
- Union College http://www.ucollege.edu/
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln http://http://www.unl.edu/
- University of Nebraska–Kearney http://www.unk.edu/
- University of Nebraska–Omaha http://www.unomaha.edu/
- Wayne State College http://www.wsc.edu/
- York College http://www.york.edu